Iron Craft Challenge #8 – Men’s Shirt Redo

For this Iron Craft challenge we were asked to remake something we would normally throw away into something else. Matt had a bunch of shirts he was getting rid of that I decided to turn into shirts for me (ok, he wasn’t throwing them away, he was donating them). I’d been wanted to try this tutorial from Jezze Prints that turns a men’s buttondown into a peasant style shirt. I am thrilled with the results.
Iron Craft Challenge #8 - Men's Shirt Redo
I liked the first one so much that I did a second one.
Iron Craft Challenge #8 - Men's Shirt Redo
And a third one is in the works. I think these are the perfect light and airy summer shirt with a little bit of style.

I stuck pretty close the original pattern, especially for the first one, but of course I learned a few things and made a few changes as I went along.

  • All the shirts I used had pockets on them. The pockets need to be removed with a stitch ripper before you can refashion the shirt (they will get in the way of the pleats). If you see where the pocket was a little water and iron should get rid of the stitching marks.
  • Cutting the tag out of the back of the shirt made it much easier to create the pleat at the back.
  • When cutting out the neckline start smaller than you think you want and increase the size a little at a time. You can’t add fabric back on but if the neckline is a little too wide you can make the pleats a little bigger to bring it in. Get the right shaped neckline was the trickiest apart.
  • When you cut the neckline make sure to pay attention to where the buttons are. You want to have enough space to attach your bias tape & not be right on the button. It seemed on both shirts the depth I wanted was right by a button.
  • Sewing the pleats down a few inches really helps hold the shape of the top of the shirt.
  • She just hemmed around the neckline but bias tape will give you a much nicer look. I found 1/4 inch double folded worked best for me. For the red shirt I made my own tape from a pink and red floral fabric. I was pretty proud of my bias making skills.
  • On my black and white shirt, the bias tape goes across the top if the button panel so it cannot be unbuttoned completely again. On the red shirt, I started and ended the bias tape at the button panel so it can be opened completely. Sometime in the fall I like to wear this style shirt with a t-shirt under it and may want to unbutton the top a little.
  • The pattern calls for you to sew the pleat at the back down at the thinnest part of your back. I found that just looked weird. Instead I sewed it down along the yoke line of the shirt. This way it looks like it was made that way. Now a skinnier girl that me may want more shaping than that, but it was perfect for me and these are not supposed to be form fitting shirts.

Iron Craft Challenge #8 - Men's Shirt Redo

  • If you are like me and have hips, you may find a men’s shirt is too tight at the bottom. I cut down my shirts to just above the hips and opened the side seams a few inches for slits. This also allowed me to get rid of the shirt tail bottom.
  • Changing the buttons can make a big difference in how the finished shirt looks. I felt like there was something off about the red shirt when I finished sewing it. Then I realized it was the grey mens’ shirt buttons. I changed those out to red ones and it was like a different shirt.
If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://justcraftyenough.com then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact us at justcraftyenough AT yahoo DOT COM. All patterns, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author unless otherwise noted.
© 2005 – 2012 Kathy Lewinski & Susan Cornish
9 years ago by in Challenges , Iron Craft , Needlecraft , Sewing | You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.
2 Comments to Iron Craft Challenge #8 – Men’s Shirt Redo

Leave A Response

* Required