Are you adding gift cards to any Easter baskets this year? Why not make a cute Peeps inspired gift card holder to put them in?
This holder is a cinch to make with just some felt, glue and a few easy stitched embellishments, it took me less than an hour to make this one. Mine is in classic yellow, but it would also look great in bright pink or blue. An optional ribbon at the top means it can be hung as a decoration when not being used as gift.
Peep Gift Card Holder
- peep pattern (download the Peep Pattern)
- matching embroidery floss
- small black button (you could also use black felt or black embroidery floss)
- black thread
- 6″ piece of ribbon (optional)
- glue stick (optional)
- hand sewing needle
- tacky or fabric glue
- small paintbrush (optional)
2. Cut the pattern on the dotted line and cut the bottom piece out of felt to make the pocket for the gift card. You can use the whole piece or cut the sides to make a smaller one like I did. Just make sure it is big enough to fit the card with room to glue the sides down.
You will have three pieces cut from the felt.
3. Chose one of the whole pieces to be the front of your peep. With matching embroidery thread stitch a line across the body of the peep as shown on the pattern. I did a simple backstitch using all six strands of floss.
6. Glue the two whole peep pieces together using tacky or fabric glue. I use a paintbrush to help get the glue to the edges. Then glue the pocket to the back just putting glue around the bottom and sides of the pocket. (You could also sew the pocket on, just do it before you glue the two full shapes together.)
Fill with a gift card for a sweet Easter present.
© 2005 – 2013 Kathy Lewinski & Susan Cornish