My beloved Vicki is always cold. So I wanted to make her something that was fab-you-lous, and warm at the same time.
This is a big knit using size 17 needles and a delicious strand of sequin mixed in with a lovely rope of yarn.
This cowl has a swirling pattern up it. It is done in a repeat of 3 minus 1. By making it off by one, that allows the purl bump of the rib to travel up the cowl in a spiral.
- 17 Circular needle. 32″ or bigger. (I used Addi Turbo 32′ 17′s. They are connected by a tube.)
- Two balls of super chunky yarn (I used Ella Rae Mega, color 16)
- 1 ball of ‘carry along’ (I used Marks & Kattens FAME trend paljett color 686)
This yarn is pretty unusual. I got it at my FAVORITE knitting store. Orchardside Yarn Shop, in Raphine VA. Give them a call, and talk to Carole. Tell her you what you want to make, and she will ship out all the supplies you need.
- knitting and purling in the round
- knitting with multiple yarns held together
- K – knit
- P – purl
Hold the bulky yarn with the carry along yarn doubled. Take both ends from the ball, pulling from the center and from the outside of the ball at the same time, and hold those together while you are knitting.
Cast on 95 stitches. Join into the round being CAREFUL not to twist into a mobius loop.
Row 1: K2, P1 around
Continue in this pattern around. The purl will move one stitch over each round, creating a spiral.
Knit 24 rows or knit until the scarf is 9″ wide (or as wide as you would like it). Cast off (loosely)
© 2005 – 2013 Kathy Lewinski & Susan Cornish