Fancy embellished table linens can be so expensive, but you can easily make some yourself with no sewing. A set of them would be a beautiful holiday gift that you can make in no time at all.
I bought a set of six white napkins at World Market for just $9.99. I found the cotton God Jul (Merry Christmas in Swedish) ribbon at a local Scandinavian store, (it is available online for $1.50 a yard) but there are tons of beautiful designs out there to chose from. Other than drying time, these napkins took me less than an hour to put it together.
No-Sew Embellished Napkins
- Fabric Napkins
- Fabric Ribbon (the width of your napkin plus 2″ times the number of napkins you are embellishing)
- Washable Fabric Glue
- Small Paintbrush
1. Cut lengths of ribbon about 2 inches longer than the width of the napkin.
2. Lay the ribbon out in a straight line across the napkin where you want it placed with about an inch of ribbon hanging off each side. I used the stitching line from the hem of the napkin as my guide. You could also use a chalk or fabric pencil to draw a guide line.
3. Lift one end of the ribbon up, paint glue on the back with the paintbrush and press it into place. (You will still have the one inch end not glued down hanging off the edge.) Now fold the rest of the ribbon back and glue it down a little at a time. Be careful not to get glue on the front of the ribbon.
4. Once the front is all glued down, flip the napkin over. Paint glue on the ribbon hanging over the edges. Fold it over and press into place. Paint a little glue over the cut ends to keep them from fraying.
5. Let dry 24 hours.
Wrap them up and you have a lovely handmade gift. Wouldn’t these make a nice hostess gift?
© 2005 – 2012 Kathy Lewinski & Susan Cornish