Iron Craft ’16 Challenge #10 – Summer Top

For this Iron Craft challenge, we were to make something we could use for summer. For the last couple of summers I have wanted to make myself some summer tops. I wanted something that was casual and easy to wear, but nicer than a t-shirt. I bought some beautiful Lotta Jansdotter fabric last year for this purpose. Unfortunately, my first attempt was a fail and I felt like a real waste of the fabric. So, scared off and afraid to waste the second fabric, I put my sewing machine away. When this challenge came up I decided to try again.

I decided the problem I had last summer was the fabric was too stiff for the pattern I’d chosen. So, I picked a different pattern this year and consulted with Susi about whether or not this quilting cotton would work. She gave me the ok and this was the pattern I went with, New Look 6432.
Iron Craft '16 Challenge #10 - Summer Top
This is a style of summer shirt I’ve bought a few of and like quite a bit. I wanted short sleeves so, I went with version C.
Iron Craft '16 Challenge #10 - Summer Top
Here is the finished tunic. I think it has a nice crisp summer look. It was a pretty easy sewing project with no linings or interfacings. I think an advanced beginner could easily do it in a day. The toughest part was setting in the front insert and doing the gathers. (Mine could have been a bit more evenly spaced.)
Iron Craft '16 Challenge #10 - Summer Top
This is my try at taking a picture of me wearing it. It fits pretty darn perfectly. Again I listened to Susi, measured a similar top and picked a pattern size that was close. I’m glad I did because I almost cut the pattern size one smaller, which would have never fit.

I did do a few changes to the pattern.

  • It called for sewing the side seams, setting in the sleeve and then sewing the sleeve seam. I set the sleeve in before sewing the side seam and then sewed the side and sleeve seam at the same time.
  • The trim at the neckline was supposed to be made from the fabric. I decided to just use double-fold bias tape.
  • The neck opening called for a button and loop or tie closure. I decided not to do either.  The fabric is stiff enough that it doesn’t flop open.

I enjoyed making this pattern a lot and am thinking of doing a second one in a lighter more flowing fabric. I wonder if the black and white gingham I have in my stash would be too much?

If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://justcraftyenough.com then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact us at jcraftyenough AT gmail DOT COM. All patterns, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author unless otherwise noted.
© 2005 – 2016 Kathy Lewinski & Susan Cornish
2 years ago by in Challenges , Iron Craft , Needlecraft , Sewing | You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.
2 Comments to Iron Craft ’16 Challenge #10 – Summer Top
    • DrRuss
    • Congrats. The fit looks perfect. I truly understand about not wanting to waste materials during an unsuccessful attempt. This really looks nice. Well done.

Leave A Response

* Required